2014 WPSAF Artist Application
The 55th Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™
March 21, 22, and 23, 2014
Central Florida has celebrated The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™ for more than a half century. This juried show is nationally recognized and has been named one of the top outdoor art shows in the country year after year. Unusual in today’s art world, the show is brought to you by an all-volunteer committee and features original artwork that has been designed and executed by the exhibiting artists during the past two years. The show is conveniently located in Central Park, a beautifully landscaped area whose surrounding streets are closed during the Festival to allow for foot traffic only. Artists’ booths nestle under large oak trees in the park and line Winter Park’s Park Avenue, the heart of a charming downtown with brick streets, unique boutique shops, and multiple outdoor cafes and bistros. Attendance usually exceeds 350,000 people for the three-day event, which celebrates its 55th year on March 21, 22, and 23, 2014. No more than 225 artists are selected for participation each year.
- AUGUST 1, 2013 (Thursday)
Application available on ZAPP
- SEPTEMBER 20, 2013 (Friday)
Application deadline to ZAPP, by Midnight (EDT)
- OCTOBER 19, 2013 (Saturday)
ZAPP Screening at Winter Park City Hall
- NOVEMBER 11, 2013 (Monday)
Notification from ZAPP, on or before
- DECEMBER 8, 2013 (Sunday)
Acceptance and Exhibitor Fee deadline to ZAPP by Midnight (EST)
- DECEMBER 31, 2013 (Tuesday)
No refund of exhibitor fee will be made for cancellation after Midnight (EST)
- MARCH 20, 2014 (Thursday)
Spaces located within the Park may be set up AFTER 8:30 a.m.
Check in with Space Assignment Committee before set-up
Headquarters open 10 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- MARCH 21, 2014 (Friday)
Spaces located along Park Avenue may be set up AFTER 5:00 a.m.
Check in with Space Assignment Committee before set-up
Headquarters opens at 7:00 a.m.
- MARCH 21, 22, and 23, 2014
Festival Hours of Operation
Friday and Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Sunday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday Set-Up and Check-In
- Refreshments Available All Day
- Artist Hospitality Center
- Booth Sitting
- Art Festival Magazines
- Saturday Night Artists’ Dinner
AWARDS – TOTAL OF $72,500
- Best of Show, Purchase Award: $10,000
- Edyth Bush Charitable Foundation Art of Philanthropy, Purchase Award: $5,000
- Morse Museum Award for a Distinguished Work of Art: $2,500
- Ten Awards of Excellence: $2,000 each
- Twenty Awards of Distinction: $1,000 each
- Thirty Awards of Merit: $500 each
- PLUS Patron Program purchases total more than $40,000 annually
THE JUDGES AND THE JUDGING PROCESS
The jurist panel consists of three (3) independent judges, selected from across the country for their in-depth knowledge and experience in multiple art mediums. In October they will review the digital images of all applicants to select the Festival artists and the Wait List artists. In March the panel will review the work of the exhibitors, determining those artists they consider outstanding (eligible for awards). They will select one piece, representative of the artist’s body of work, from each of these outstanding artists for final judging on Saturday morning. The Best of Show, Edyth Bush Charitable Foundation award and the Morse Museum award are presented for individual works. Awards are presented solely at the discretion of the judges.
- Jerry Allen Gilmore resides in St. Paul, MN and is an artist, director, lecturer and curator in Colorado, Arizona and the Midwest.
- Novie Trump, founder and director of Flux Studios, a contemporary art studio, is a resident of Mt. Rainier, MD and a sculptor and installation artist in ceramics and mixed media.
- Evan Wilson is a resident of Hoosick, NY and has been a full-time artist (traditional realism) for more than 30 years.
IMPORTANT: It is critical that you maintain an accurate and up-to-date artist profile in ZAPP through March, 2014, especially contact information: telephone, e-mail, website and postal mail.
Applications to The 55th Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™ will be available thru ZAPP at www.zapplication.org between Thursday, August 1st and Friday, September 20, 2013, Midnight (EDT). Screening order is established by your ZAPP application completion date within your media category.
Artists may apply only once in a category and in a maximum of two (2) categories.
Reminder: Ours is a family-oriented event, and exhibits must be in keeping with this atmosphere.
Special Notice to 2013 Festival Award Winners
Winners of the 2013 Best of Show Award, the Edyth Bush Charitable Foundation Award, the Morse Museum Award, Awards of Excellence and Awards of Distinction are invited to return in their awarded category for the 2014 Festival.
- To confirm your participation in The 2014 Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™, returning award winners must submit an application to ZAPP by Friday, September 20, 2013, Midnight (EDT) and pay the exhibitor fee of $475.00 through ZAPP by Sunday, December 8, 2013, Midnight (EST). No refund of exhibitor fee will be made for cancellation after December 31, 2013, Midnight (EST).
- A coupon code will be provided to you by WPSAF for the jury fee.
- Although not juried, please submit an image through ZAPP to be used for publicity, including the Festival programs and Web site. Only images submitted in the recommended ZAPP format can be used in the Festival programs and publicity materials.
- If you have a change of category or wish to enter a second category, please submit a separate ZAPP application, including fees and images following all applicable instructions.
- Please note that past WPSAF award-winning work is not eligible for an award.
You must submit four (4) images:
- Three (3) artwork images, and
- One (1) booth image with your artwork displayed (should not include any people or identifying signage).
Excellent guidelines labeled Image Preparation may be found in ZAPP. Only images submitted in the ZAPP format can be used in the Festival programs and publicity.
Your #1 image may be used in the Festival programs, on the Web site and other Festival-related media.
- $30.00 administrative fee, paid through ZAPP by Friday, September 20, 2013, Midnight (EDT).
- $475.00 exhibitor fee (includes $28.99 FL Sales Tax of 6.5%), paid through ZAPP by Sunday, December 8, 2013, Midnight (EST).
- No refund of exhibitor fee will be made for cancellation after December 31, 2013, Midnight (EST).
APPLICATION BY COLLABORATING ARTISTS
- Collaborating artists may apply as a single entry only. No more than two (2) artists working as a team may collaborate in the design and creation of any art work submitted with the application or chosen to display at the Festival.
- Assistants, employees, office or other support staff are NOT considered to be collaborators. If an artist has a helper who assists the artist with frames, setup, selling, paperwork, etc. but she/he is NOT producing the work under his/her own or team name, this person is NOT a collaborator though may certainly assist you at the Festival.
- If accepted, only one (1) booth will be issued, and only finished work that is the result of the collaborative process may be displayed and sold.
- BOTH artists are required to sign in and present photo identification prior to setting up.
- BOTH members of the team must be present at all times in the booth during the entire three-day Festival.
- A description of each member’s involvement in the creation of the artwork must be in the Artist Statement.
- All work displayed at the Festival must bear the signature or mark of both collaborators.
APPLICATION IN TWO CATEGORIES
- Artists may apply in a maximum of two (2) categories (one entry per category).
- If applying in two (2) categories, the work in each must be substantially different in medium and technique.
- An artist selected in two categories is committed to display in both categories.
- Two (2) separate adjacent spaces will be assigned – one (1) for each category.
- Work in each category may not be combined.
Space requests are determined by date of confirmed application within each category and 2013 awards. Your timely email response will greatly assist the committee in completing the park layout prior to the holidays.
Because of a new light rail commuter stop next to Central Park and any changes to the Park by the City, the nearby Festival area layout may be subject to change without notice.
Selection is by the jury process only. The decisions of the judges are final.
Each artist is responsible for collecting and reporting Florida Sales Tax on all sales made during the Festival. The current tax rate is six and one-half percent (6.5%). Reporting forms will be provided by Florida Department of Revenue at Check-in.
Placement on the wait list is determined by the jury based upon category. Order within each category is determined by point score, then date of confirmed application in ZAPP.
Categories will be used for jurying purposes. It is the artist’s responsibility to enter the appropriate jurying category. Artists may apply only once in a category.
IMPORTANT: All work must be original, signed by the artist, produced using archival materials and be limited to 250 in its editions.
Non-jewelry clay and porcelain work. May not be machine-made or mass-produced.
- DIGITAL ART
Art work that is generated and produced using digital technology. May include scanned images (from the artist or other sources) that have been non-trivially modified by computing processes. Work must be printed with archival quality materials and MUST be properly signed and numbered as a limited edition no greater than 250. Photography of any kind is not permitted in this category.
- DRAWINGS & PASTELS
Two-dimensional work including but not limited to pencil, charcoal, chalk, pastels, wax crayon, inks and washes, or other marking materials.
Work such as baskets, books, embroidery, paper, quilts, and others created by the artist from fibers. No forms of commercial, mass-produced or enhanced items not made by the artist are permitted.
Work created in glass by the artist. No molds or other forms of mass production are permitted.
- GRAPHICS & PRINTMAKING
Prints manually created by the artist using plates, stones or screens which have been properly signed and numbered as a limited edition no greater than 250 using archival quality materials.
Jewelry created by the artist without the use of commercial casts, molds, kits or a production studio, regardless of medium.
Handmade work created with leather.
Non-jewelry metal work created by the artist without the use of a production studio.
- MIXED MEDIA
Work in which the primary intent is the union of two or more media or physical materials.
Two-dimensional work created with pigment including oils and acrylics, as well as egg tempera, casein, alkyd, etc., or any combination of these pigments excluding watercolor.
Limited edition no greater than 250, signed and numbered prints using archival materials that are created by the artist from his/her own original negatives or digital files processed by that artist or under that artist’s direct supervision. Photographs taken by digital means and works consisting of photographs that have been manipulated using a computer should be submitted in the photography category. Scanned images of the artist’s original work that have been significantly manipulated or enhanced into the final piece should be submitted in the Digital Art category.
Three-dimensional work created in any medium. No forms of commercial or mass-produced or enhanced items not made by the artist are permitted.
Two-dimensional work created with watercolors.
Hand-tooled, machine-worked, built-up, turned or carved work in wood. No forms of commercial or mass-produced or enhanced items not made by the artist are permitted.
- The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™
P.O. Box 597
Winter Park, Florida 32790-0597
407-644-7207 (voice message system)
(emerging artists only)
Please read the entire application completely, including this important section.
All exhibitors must prominently display a copy of their Artist Statements in their booths.
These Artist Statements must describe the technique, materials and processes used in the creation of the entire body of work.
Collaborators must describe each member’s involvement in the creation of the artwork in their Artist Statement.
A completed ZAPP application and full payment of the booth fee is a commitment to show in your selected category (categories) the entirety of the Festival and to abide by the Festival rules. No refund of exhibitor fee will be made for cancellation after December 31, 2013, Midnight (EST).
Each space measures 10’ by 12’. The artist’s display, including booth and viewing bins, must be contained within this space.
- An artist may have only one (1) space, except in cases of dual category acceptance.
- The work of only one (1) exhibitor may be displayed in each assigned space.
- A minimum of six (6) pieces must be displayed.
- The Festival retains the right to regulate various aspects of the booth display including, but not limited to, number of pieces of artwork, size and number of bins, and overall placement within the allotted space.
- Ours is a family-oriented event, and exhibits must be in keeping with this atmosphere.
THE FOLLOWING ARE PROHIBITED!
IMPORTANT: During the Festival, all displays will be visited by Viewing Committee members to ensure that they are in compliance with Festival rules. It is our exclusive right and responsibility to remove work that is not in compliance. Non-compliance will result in expulsion and ineligibility for judging, awards and future Festival participation. The final decision will be made by an Officer of the Festival.
- NO REPRODUCTIONS OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK
- NO copies of original artwork and works reproduced or copied from works of masters, advertisements, commercial or widely circulated photographs or offset prints
- NO work purchased from an outside source for resale
- NO production artwork in any category
- NO work created by kits, picture frames, velvet paintings, manufactured or kit jewelry, candles, art supplies, commercial signage or displays, decoupage and ceramics cast from commercial molds
- NO mass-produced note cards, commercial books, etc.
- NO framing in the Park
- NO artwork created before January, 2012
- NO artwork not in category
- NO unsigned artwork or work not using archival materials
- NO creation or demonstration of artwork in the Park
- NO animals, alcohol, or sound systems
- NO generators in the Park
I hereby submit an application to become an exhibitor in The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™.
- Submission of my ZAPP application confirms my commitment to abide by the Festival rules and regulations as established by the Festival Committee and the City of Winter Park.
- By submitting an application, I hereby and forever discharges The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™, Winter Park Art Festival, Inc., and the City of Winter Park, Florida, of and from all manner of actions, suits, and damages, claims and demands, whatsoever in law or equity, from any loss and damage to the undersigned’s property while in the possession, supervision or auspices of The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™, Winter Part Art Festival, Inc., the City of Winter Park, their agents, representatives or employees.
- I warrant that:
- The artworks submitted for jurying and the artworks to be displayed in my booth are all original work that are both designed and executed by my own hands since January 1, 2012. If the work represents collaboration between my collaborator and me, that work is made solely by my collaborator and me with our own hands.
- There is no production studio associated with any of the work to be sold in my booth.
- The work in my booth is not purchased from an outside source for resale at The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival.
- There are no reproductions or enhanced/embellished reproductions in my booth.
- If selected to exhibit at The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™, I authorize use of the images submitted with my application or duplicates thereof for Festival publicity or documentation.
- I agree to grant a license to The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™ to reproduce electronically, in limited resolution, my original artwork for a period of up to thirty (30) months beginning December 8, 2013. I understand by submitting an application, I retain full copyright of my original artwork. My images shall not be redistributed except as anticipated on the Web site and in the Festival programs and other Festival related media, without my express written permission.
- A confirmed application in ZAPP and full payment of the exhibitor fee is a commitment to show in my selected category (categories) and to abide by the Festival rules.
- No refund of exhibitor fee will be made for cancellation after December 31, 2013, Midnight (EST).
- The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™ reserves the right to make final interpretation of all rules.