The 54th Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™
March 15, 16, and 17, 2013
EMERGING ARTIST PROGRAM
WPSAF EMERGING ARTIST PROGRAM HISTORY
The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™ initiated the Emerging Artist Program in 1997. Our goal is to encourage participation in the world of outdoor festivals by providing the opportunity to experience the application process and participation in WPSAF at no cost to the emerging artists.
The WPSAF Committee is seeking three participants for the 2013 Emerging Artist Program offered as part of The 54th Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™. The program is designed specifically for outstanding artists who have never exhibited or sold their work at an outdoor festival. Artists who are just beginning their careers in the art world are encouraged to apply.
The WPSAF reserves the right to research applicants to determine if they are qualified for this program and do not have any experience exhibiting and selling their work in an outdoor show.
Artists may apply to either the Emerging Artist Program or to The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival through the regular application process, but they may not apply to both.
Comments from former WPSAF Emerging Artists can be found below.
In addition to having an opportunity to sell their work, meet other artists and participate in a nationally recognized festival, the selected artists are afforded these amenities:
- All administrative fees and exhibitor fees are waived.
- Hotel accommodations Thursday through Sunday and most meals.
- Transportation for one including airfare or vehicle mileage at 50 cents per mile, not to exceed $600.00 round trip.
- A 10' x 10' display tent and display stands for use during the festival. (Booth space is 10' x 12').
With the exception of being ineligible for ribbons and money awards, Emerging Artists are treated to the same amenities as all other festival exhibitors.
Booth Sitting, Artist Hospitality Center, Art Festival Magazines, Morning Refreshments, Thursday Set Up and Check In, Saturday Night Artists' Dinner.
- July 23, 2012 (Monday) - Applications available in ZAPP
- September 17, 2012, midnight (Monday) - Application deadline (no exceptions due to ZAPP technical requirements)
- November 1, 2012 (Thursday) - Notification emailed on or before
- November 30, 2012 (Friday) - Acceptance deadline to ZAPP, by midnight
- March 14, 2013 (Thursday) - Booth set up
- March 15, 16, and 17, 2012
- WPSAF hours, Friday and Saturday: 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Sunday: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
To contact WPSAF about the Emerging Artist Program, please use:
- 407-644-7207 (Voice Message System)
ADDITIONAL CONTACT INFORMATION:
The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™
P.O. Box 597
Winter Park, Florida 32790-0597
- www.wpsaf.org (general Festival website)
Please read the entire application completely.
Our judges will jury the four submitted digital images of your work on Saturday, October 20, 2012, and those receiving the judges' highest evaluations will be invited to participate in the 2013 show as Emerging Artists. All Emerging Artist Program entrants will be notified on or before Thursday, November 1, 2012 by email. If accepted, you must respond to ZAPP before midnight, Friday, November 30, 2012.
Selection is by the jury process only. The decisions of the judges are final.
I hereby submit an application to become an Emerging Artist exhibitor in The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival™. I agree to abide by the Festival rules and regulations as established by the Festival Committee and the City of Winter Park.
- By submitting an application, Applicant hereby and forever discharges The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival, Winter Park Art Festival, Inc., and the City of Winter Park, Florida, of and from all manner of actions, suits, damages, claims and demands whatsoever in law or equity, from any loss and damage to the undersigned's property while in the possession, supervision or auspices of The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival, Winter Park Art Festival, Inc., the City of Winter Park, their agents, representatives, or employees.
- I also warrant that the artworks submitted for jurying and the artworks to be shown are produced solely by me. I also authorize use of digital images submitted with my application or duplicates thereof for Festival publicity or documentation.
- I agree to grant a license to The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival to reproduce electronically, in limited resolution, my original artwork for a period of up to thirty (30) months beginning December 1, 2012. I understand by submitting an agreement, I retain full copyright of my original artwork. My images shall not be redistributed, except as anticipated on the Web site and in the Art Festival Magazines and other Festival related media, without the express written permission of myself and The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival.
THE WINTER PARK SIDEWALK ART FESTIVAL™ RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE FINAL INTERPRETATION OF ALL RULES.
- Emerging Artists may apply in only one category.
- Thoroughly read all information in this Emerging Artist portion of the WPSAF website.
- At any time, create your free ACCOUNT in ZAPP (the one-step online application system now used by most large shows) at www.zapplication.org.
- You may upload the IMAGES of your work at any time. Excellent guidelines labeled Image Preparation may be found in ZAPP. ZAPP will send you reminders to apply during the appropriate time. A booth image is not required.
- Apply through ZAPP at www.zapplication.org between Monday, JULY 23, 2012 and MIDNIGHT, Monday, SEPTEMBER 17, 2012. Submit your application in ZAPP using the coupon code WPSAFEA13. Use of the coupon code waives the application fee of $30 for Emerging Artists. Please be certain to respond to the question in ZAPP that asks how you heard about our Emerging Artist Program.
- A completed application is a commitment to abide by the Festival rules.
Every exhibitor must prominently display a copy of their Artist Statement in their booth, describing the technique, materials and processes used in the creation of your entire body of work. Co-artists must describe their collaboration.
Original, non-jewelry clay and porcelain work. May not be machine-made or mass-produced.
Original work created by the artist using a computer, printed on acid-free paper with archival ink, which MUST be signed and numbered as a limited edition. Includes scanned images of the artist's original work that have been significantly manipulated or enhanced into the final piece.
DRAWINGS & GRAPHICS
Original two-dimensional work including pencil, charcoal, chalk, pastels, wax crayon, inks and washes. Prints manually created by the artist using plates, stones or screens which have been signed and numbered as a limited edition on acid-free paper.
Original work created by the artist from fibers including baskets, books, paper, quilts, weaving, and others. No forms of mass production are permitted.
Original work created in glass by the artist. No molds or other forms of mass production are permitted.
Original jewelry regardless of medium created without commercial casts, molds or use of a production studio.
Handmade original work created with leather.
Original non-jewelry metal work created by the artist without the use of a production studio.
Original work of two or three dimensions in which the primary intent is the union of two or more media or physical materials.
Original two-dimensional work created with pigment including oils, acrylics, watercolor, egg tempera, casein, alkyd, etc, or any combination of these pigments
Limited edition signed and numbered prints that are created by the artist from his/her own original negatives or digital files that have been processed by that artist or under the artists' direct supervision.
Original three-dimensional work created in any medium.
Original hand –tooled, machine-worked, built-up, turned or carved work in wood.
Each space measures 10' x 12'. Artists display, including booth and viewing bins, must be contained within this space. A minimum of six pieces must be displayed. The Festival retains the right to regulate various aspects of the booth display including, but not limited to, number of pieces of artwork, size/number of bins, and overall placement within the allotted space. (Tents provided are 10' x 10').
All administrative and booth fees are waived.
A juried fine arts and fine crafts show, The Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival combines the unique atmosphere of Park Avenue and Central Park in Winter Park, Florida, with a knowledgeable, art-buying public. Attendance usually exceeds 350,000 people for the three-day event.
Only original work may be displayed and offered for sale.
The work must be attributable solely to the Emerging Artist.
Artists must be with their exhibits during the entirety of the Festival. Proxy representation will not be allowed.
Emerging Artists' work may have been created at any time.
Excellent guidelines labeled Image Preparation may be found in ZAPP. If an image is not submitted in this format it will not be used in the Festival program. No exceptions allowed.
During the Festival, all displays will be visited by Viewing Committee members to ensure that they are in compliance with Festival rules. It is our exclusive right and responsibility to remove work that is not in compliance.
- Production artwork in any category
- All reproductions, including embellished/enhanced reproductions. NO REPRODUCTIONS OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK ARE PERMITTED. The final interpretation of commercial/reproduction status will be made by the Viewing Committee.
- Copies of original artwork and works reproduced or copied from works of masters, advertisements, commercial or widely circulated photographs or offset prints.
- Art work purchased from an outside source for resale.
- Work created by kits, picture frames, velvet paintings, manufactured or kit jewelry, candles, art supplies, commercial signage, or displays, decoupage and ceramics cast from commercial molds.
- Catalogs, mass-produced note cards, commercial books, etc.
- Framing in the Park
- Creation or demonstration of artwork in the Park
- Animals, alcohol, and sound systems
- Generators in the Park
Booth locations for Emerging Artists are assigned by the Committee.
Each Emerging Artist is responsible for collecting and reporting Florida Sales Tax on all sales made during the Festival. The current tax rate is 6.5%. Reporting forms will be provided by the FL Department of Revenue.
COMMENTS FROM FORMER EMERGING ARTISTS
"This is the first time I have spent so many hours with my body of work. Usually I'm concentrating on one piece and the others are in different locations. Seeing together everything that I've brought has been a total revelation to me. I'm seeing my own pieces so differently than ever before. What a gift! What a wonderful experience!"
.....Emerging Artist, 1999
"This has been the experience of a lifetime! I have had the opportunity to speak to so many talented artists who have been kind and willing to share. They've answered my questions about marketing and pricing. They've talked to me about my conflict with being true to my inner needs and calling versus creating art for others. My head is spinning with knowledge and my heart is filled with gratitude for providing an opportunity that far surpassed my wildest expectations."
.....Emerging Artist, 2006
"Thank you so much for such a memorable experience at the Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival! It was positively eye opening. I will apply to shows with confidence and experience now, and am excited to do so. Everyone I met was warm and generous with information, from the WPSAF staff and judges, to other artist vendors, and the public who attended."
.....Emerging Artist 2010
"…Leading up to the Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival I must admit that I feared that I wouldn't sell anything, but quite the opposite occurred. My show was a total sellout, and I was scrambling to print and mount new photos for the show on Saturday and Sunday. I even had custom orders, gallery owners approach me, and people grabbed hundreds of business cards. When it was really pouring rain on Sunday, I even had customers come back with cash while I was dismounting my booth. This show was definitely the confidence boost and learning experience I needed to 'enter the art festival world'….Also, talking to the other artists was amazing on Saturday. I was surprised to learn that people do this full time for their primary income."
.....Emerging Artist 2010